ParanoidAndroid - 4.0.4 running on a cellphone - first look and step by step guide

Paranoid Android is probably one of the first phone-tablet hydrid ROM, it even come with setting for phablet

I was skeptical at first, to put a tabletUI onto a 3.5 inch screen cellphone? Once I tried it, there is no doubt, 4.0.4 is an order of magnitude better.

Mine is an Optimus V, a 2+ years old LG smart phone, low end, 3.5 in screen. Its stock ROM is 2.2.2. This was phased out 3 months ago and RadioShack had it for $45 a piece, came with wifi/cell/gps. I snapped on CWM, instructions here:

step by step guide how to get CWM into your Optimus V, http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum/showthread.php?1933-upgrade-LG-OptimusV-%282-2-2%29-into-a-Samsung-Galaxy-III-step-by-step-guide&highlight=optimus
Install .apk and run it and that would get CWM into your cell. There is another way to do it manually, here.

Once CWM is in, there are close to 30+ custom ROMs out there. One can basically snap on one every week just for the fun of it. I finally tried an ICS ROM and it worked beautifully,

flash this rom, http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/183592-rom-cm9-paranoid-android-tablet-ui-august-15th-2012-mic-fixed.html; 8-15-2012 version, everything works, except bugs go with CM9 and tethering.

Attached pics tell it all. 4.0.4 is much smooth, speedier, features rich. I specially like the quick controls on the ICS browser, the half moon, I got so use to it, I cannot surf without it. So does, hotspot came standard, (unfortunate, the OV ROM still dont have hotspot yet)
It gave much more screen estate because of the resolution, again, look at the pic, it is many times better.

Pros - all the pros of ICS, battery is better, more apps, no crash/FC
cons - got to wait for your cell's ROM PORT, your cellphone manufacturer aint goin to give it to you.

Look around in Radioshack, maybe there is still one hiding in the corner... There are over 30 custom ROMs released for this phone, they all are stable and good, just enough for you to wonder which is the best.

no pics, no stories

enjoy,

bun
Last edited by bunanson on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ParanoidAndroid - 4.0.4 running on a cellphone - first look and step by step guide

More pics, seeing is believing, this is the screen of a 3.5 in cell. Incredible!

The blue half sphere is the quick controls from ICS browser, only in ICS browser, one has to go setting>Labs>enable it. try it, you're goin to love it to death, it is very convenient

enjoy,

bun
Last edited by bunanson on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You need to be logged in to the site to leave comments.

Login  •  Register

Return to “Service Providers”