[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros MID9742 - Rooted, deodexed, Google Play

This isn't much, just a slight modification of the stock firmware with root, Google Play, and a few other changes.

WARNING:
This firmware was tested on a Novo 7 Elf and it worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use.
If it bricks your tablet you've been warned.

Features:
- Gapps + Google Play fix
- Rooted
- NetworkLocation service fixed (to pinpoint your location in apps like Google Maps)
- Deodexed for easier modding/theming
- Samsung Galaxy tab fingerprint for better app compatibility

Downloads:
Version 0.1:
cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip

Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Windows 7 64-Bit users, it has been reported that you need to use LiveSuite 1.0.7: http://www.mediafire.com/?idmeiyvr8xbt6rd

Thanks to all who posted firmware dumps and tested in this thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3/38231-requesting-firmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices.html

I have downloaded the cfw_coby_9742.zip file several times and I keep getting an error message when I try to unzip the file. It states that it is an invalid archive.

[quote=HeatherTheobald]I have downloaded the cfw_coby_9742.zip file several times and I keep getting an error message when I try to unzip the file. It states that it is an invalid archive.[/quote]

I downloaded and extracted fine. I am using win7 ultimate and firefox.
Perhaps try another computer ?

Dave

SteevCan youadd a linkfrom theNewRom, Icannotdownload it
Last edited by waleed on Sat May 26, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i tried this, i could not get into update mode at all, tried 50 times, no screen pops up on my pc, live suite does nothing what am i doing wrong???

[quote=mike55]i tried this, i could not get into update mode at all, tried 50 times, no screen pops up on my pc, live suite does nothing what am i doing wrong???[/quote]
same for me..except I get a pop up. Which I follow the instructions to and tablet never rebooted(20min), When I disconnected the USB and reconnected, it had a yellow android guy with a red caution triangle.

Finally got mine to work, I deleted the livesuite, and .img file I previously tried to use , downloaded Live suite again then after opening each of the 3 driver files (only 1 worled) I rebooted . Then tried it once more and it worked.

But I noticed there is no facebook, amazon, and a few other popular apps that arent available to download from Google play WTH?

Thank you OP for posting

I got the custom rom to install & all, I must thank you. But, now I have a new problem, the params are in reverse on the device & I do not know how to re calabrate the touch screen. Can anyone help me out or tell me what I should do next? Thanks

Thank for ROM.I install your ROM.Every APP run smoothly and perfect.Only one point.The camera does not work.How to do it.

i download your cfw_coby_9742.zip file. all app work smoothly and perfect. only one point, camera is not work, how to do it

You need to be logged in to the site to leave comments.

Login  •  Register

Return to “Rom Development”