Basic info on Cortex A8

I have been proposed two Intreeo tablets to replace my faulty Cube U9GT2.
One is the 9.7" California, 1 GB RAM, quite similar to the Cube, the other is the 7" Casper 0.5 GB RAM.
Both run ICS and are based on Cortex A8 1.2 GHz Boxchip A10, on which I haven't found much info in the forum and would like to know more to decide.

My main questions are:
1. Can these (Cortex A8) tablets be easily rooted?
2. Is there a custom recovery (like CWM) available?
3. Are there custom ROMs available?
4. How does the 9.7" version compare to the Cube U9GT2?
5. If one goes for the 7" screen and accepts the lower resolution (800x600 instead of 1024x768) are 512 MB RAM enough in terms of performance?

edborg
Last edited by edborg on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basic info on Cortex A8

[quote=edborg]I have been proposed two Intreeo tablets to replace my faulty Cube U9GT2.
One is the 9.7" California, 1 GB RAM, quite similar to the Cube, the other is the 7" Casper 0.5 GB RAM.
Both run ICS and are based on Cortex A8 1.2 GHz Boxchip A10, on which I haven't found much info in the forum and would like to know more to decide.

My main questions are:
1. Can these (Cortex A8) tablets be easily rooted?
2. Is there a custom recovery (like CWM) available?
3. Are there custom ROMs available?
4. How does the 9.7" version compare to the Cube U9GT2?
5. If one goes for the 7" screen and accepts the lower resolution (800x600 instead of 1024x768) are 512 MB RAM enough in terms of performance?

edborg[/quote]

The boxchip A10 is the same as the Allwinner A10, which has a large group of forums here. Most ROM's for the A10 come pre-rooted and there are many possibilities for CWM/Cyanogen Mod. Flashing ROMs is pretty easy, once you get used to the procedure, even without CWM. There are also many custom ROMs out there, however, it is not certain that there are any for the particular tablet you are considering.

For ICS most find that 1Gb of RAM is needed. With 512Mb you may get a lot of hang/crashes/random reboots.

If you provide links to the tablets in question, it would be much easier to comment on firmware compatability, as there are many OEM tablets which are identical but sell under various brands.

Basic info on Cortex A8

[quote=Dansplans]The boxchip A10 is the same as the Allwinner A10, which has a large group of forums here. Most ROM's for the A10 come pre-rooted and there are many possibilities for CWM/Cyanogen Mod. Flashing ROMs is pretty easy, once you get used to the procedure, even without CWM. There are also many custom ROMs out there, however, it is not certain that there are any for the particular tablet you are considering.

For ICS most find that 1Gb of RAM is needed. With 512Mb you may get a lot of hang/crashes/random reboots.

If you provide links to the tablets in question, it would be much easier to comment on firmware compatability, as there are many OEM tablets which are identical but sell under various brands.[/quote]
Thank you for all your answers. I'll also have a look in the Allwinner 10 sub-forum, where there's much more info than here.
Is it different from Cortex A8?

Good to know in advance that ICS needs 1 GB RAM, better than discovering it to late.:untroubled:

Here is the link:
http://www.intreeo.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=18&Itemid=24&lang=it&vmcchk=1&Itemid=24

edborg
Last edited by edborg on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basic info on Cortex A8

[quote=edborg]Thank you for all your answers. I'll also have a look in the Allwinner 10 sub-forum, where there's much more info than here.
Is it different from Cortex A8?

Good to know in advance that ICS needs 1 GB RAM, better than discovering it to late.:untroubled:

Here is the link:
http://www.intreeo.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=18&Itemid=24&lang=it&vmcchk=1&Itemid=24

edborg[/quote]

The A10 is a Cortex A8 together with a Mali400 graphics chip. This is known as a SOC or System on a Chip.

I looked at the specs for the California and the battery size looks worrisome. Everything else looks good, but a 4600mAh battery on a 10" IPS device would probably only give you 2-3 hours use on a charge.

Basic info on Cortex A8

[quote=Dansplans]The A10 is a Cortex A8 together with a Mali400 graphics chip. This is known as a SOC or System on a Chip.

I looked at the specs for the California and the battery size looks worrisome. Everything else looks good, but a 4600mAh battery on a 10" IPS device would probably only give you 2-3 hours use on a charge.[/quote]
Thank you!
Clear and precise info. It saved me a(nother) wrong buy.
Actually, the Cube U9GT2 seems a better product, but unfortunately I got a faulty item. :apologetic:

edborg

Edit: I now understand. I had thought that Cortex A8 was an alternative to RK2918. On the contrary it's a CPU used for different SOCs, including RK2918. Sorry for posting in the wrong thread.
Last edited by edborg on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basic info on Cortex A8

Hello Edborg,

Glad to know that you're still interested in tablet, albeit the sour taste on the first one.
In addition to Dan's valuable advices, I'd pay attention to two important factors:

. First, the product quality. Unless we buy tablets for testing, i.e. for supporting forum members, I'd not mess around with unknown products, considering that they store our own important data. I have no stats on non-brand-name products from overseas, but some vendor reported 2% failure rate, which is overwhelming. Failure rate among my associates, and my own, reflected pretty much the same, even worse.

. Secondly, where to buy from? Let's not try to save a few bucks from vendors that did not have good reputation in support. Buy local or thru forum's vendors.

Hope that you will have a new tablet soon, and to have the contribution of your technical & analytical support.

Dave

Basic info on Cortex A8

Hello Dave,

I am normally very careful when buying.
This time I wasn't enough because after testing a Cube bought online from DHGate by a friend who was very happy with it, and being happy myself, I decided to buy the same.

I knew it wasn't a brand like Apple, but based on that limited positive experience and being Cube a well known brand in China I did it, not expecting this outcome.

For sure DHGate, who claim to protect buyers against dishonest sellers end up being dishonest themselves.
From what I read in forums (including this one) there are many DHGate-like sites and buying in local shops would be much safer, but the products that I've found available to date don't seem very attractive (I am not talking of Asus, Samsung and similar high rank brands).

Amongst chinese tablets I still prefer the Cube U9GT2 for my needs (size, shape, technical specs), but it is not yet clear to me whether I have been particularly unlucky or the model itself is unreliable.
What do you think?
And what about forum vendors?

If I were reassured about product's reliability and found one to test before buying, even if it were used, I would certainly buy another one.

edborg
Last edited by edborg on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basic info on Cortex A8

Edborg,

This may be a great candidate. Just found it today and I may even go for it although I have more than half dozen tablets laying around.

http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum/showthread.php?1631-Sony-SGPT112US-S-32GB-9-4-quot-Android-Tablet-S-with-Cradle&p=9885&viewfull=1#post9885

As for your questions
Amongst chinese tablets I still prefer the Cube U9GT2 for my needs (size, shape, technical specs), but it is not yet clear to me whether I have been particularly unlucky or the model itself is unreliable.
What do you think?
And what about forum vendors?

The specs is one thing. How the components are designed, assembled and tested is another. The specs alone does not represent the whole picture. Look over the new Cube U30GT section and you see what it means. Forum vendors may be of better support, which is the second important factor in the purchase decision.

Dave,

Basic info on Cortex A8

[quote=Dave.S]Edborg,

This may be a great candidate. Just found it today and I may even go for it although I have more than half dozen tablets laying around.

http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum/showthread.php?1631-Sony-SGPT112US-S-32GB-9-4-quot-Android-Tablet-S-with-Cradle&p=9885&viewfull=1#post9885

As for your questions

The specs is one thing. How the components are designed, assembled and tested is another. The specs alone does not represent the whole picture. Look over the new Cube U30GT section and you see what it means. Forum vendors may be of better support, which is the second important factor in the purchase decision.

Dave,[/quote]

I'm pretty sure your deals from Woot are for US residents only Dave. Edborg tells me he is in Italy.:tongue:

Basic info on Cortex A8

Hi, may I join the party?

In general 1 G ram is better. However, I have several good experience with 512 MB RAMs.
ICOO D50 lite is one, 4G/512 MB/roooted/$74, it works right out of box and I cannot even find one complaint.

Another one is X6, 4G/512 MB/unroot/$59 same superior performance. This is from the mouth of somebody playing with over 12 tablets, all with different brands! I would NOT recommend X6 because of incompatibility due to MIPS, but the tablet itself is a solid build.

Freelander PD10, GPS/8G/1G/easy root/HDMI/$109 is the top pick. I have NO idea why is that, but the PD10 can multi-touch, multizoom a lot of apps and browsers, almost ALL I have been testing. While the D50 and X6 can only zoom with a couple of browsers, and less apps. They run/multi touch the apps and browsers fine, but they dont zoom, could be the way I tested them? Except PD10, it zoom in/out on almost ALL browsers and apps I played with. Video skype, though ran on all three of these, PD10 is the highest quality.

Ainol Novo7 Mars, 8G/1G/rooted/HD screen/$119, would not touch with a 10 foot pole. It is buggy. and with screen input requiring a hammer's effort :) . Other than that, it is kind of functional.

Ainol Novo7 Tornado, 8G/1G/rooted/$89, the little brother of Mars, works better, and smooth provided you are seeing the router because of weak wifi. Even next room, the Tornado drops the signal. Skype ran, but people can barely hear you because of weak wifi. Video skype, forget it. Both Ainols are advertised as 5 point multi-touch, they are only 2 points. People are quipping Ainol is now working on 3 point touch, then 4 points, and maybe 5 point 2020. :)

Hyundai A7, 8G/512 MB/easy root/HDMI/$108, hiccups quite often and with random freeze, not quite sure why, other than that, it is also an acceptable tablet. Except it is powered only thru USB port, if the port die/malfunction, your tablet is gone.

WM8650, 4G/256 MB/2.2/easy root/CWM/$84, hackers toy, anything under the sun, you named it, WM8650 has it, very slow, outdated technology.

Being said, it also boiled down to what is your goal of getting a tablet. Using like an average laptop replacement, these cheap, sub $100 tablet will get you excited, it does email/surfing/video skype/streaming audio/video/video chat with NOT even 1 hiccup. That is probably my Xmas gifts for my family 2012. However, if you are looking for a tablet with bleeding edge technology, playing smooth 3D games, eyeblinking animation with cellular attachment, those will not be your choice. And if you have more kick out of hacking than using the tablet itself, you will look for tablet with a large supporting community, like the Allwinner A10, and always wait awhile.

Finally, regarding shopping tablets. I believe the vendor is just as important as the tablets. I am waiting for a couple of tablets coming... and they are also under $100.

My damage for my hobby, so far, is $700 - still less than a desktop without monitor I bought years ago, but the pleasure is an order of magnitude more :) ; For these, I have tons of fun comparing tablets, play with them, learn the android system, and different processor. This experience money cant buy :)

bun
Last edited by bunanson on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You need to be logged in to the site to leave comments.

Login  •  Register

Return to “Samsung® ARM Cortex® A8”