Post your product reviews here!

Teclast P85 Dual-core Detailed Review!

So, after 10 days of use of Teclast P85 Dual Core, which I received from Spemall: http://www.spemall.com/Teclast-P85-Dual-core-Android-4-0-OS-Tablet-PC-with-Rockchip-RK3066-Processor-Five-Point-Capacitive-Screen_g.html
I feel ready to write the review about it. Let me remind you that I am also the owner of the first generation of Teclast P85, which looks the same, but is based on the different SoC – Allwinner A10 (Cortex A8 single core, Mali-400MP1), compared to Rockchip RK3066 (Cortex A9 dual core, Mali-400MP4) in the second generation of the tablet.As I had foreseen, at first, and even second glance, tablets are identical. There is absolutely no difference in design and appearance. Differences you can see after turning on the device are the different boot animation, small differences in the firmware, and, of course, excellent performance of the dual-core version tablet . The only external difference by which it is possible to distinguish the new model from the old one – is its ID, printed on the metal backpanel. In Teclast P85 Dual Core it is A9D3, and for the first generation of the device it is R8A1.

Box and package contents. Box is exactly the same as it was for the first generation of the device. It only has a sticker, which notify us about the new system on chip (Rockchip RK3066) on the board. It perfectly protects the device from the damage during transportation. Package contents are different from those of the first generation device. There is a USB to MicroUSB data cable, OTG cable and a charger with MicroUSB connector for 2.5 A with a quality adapter for European sockets. In the first generation device package, there were also headphones, but the charger was only for 1.5 A with the connector for USB cable. The bundled 2.5 A charger looks solid and seemingly good quality.

Screen. The screen is still the same, as in the first generation of the device, as I expected. It has decent viewing angles, though it is not an IPS screen (IPS screens are even better in this aspect), good uniformity of backlight, high contrast, deep black. In everyday use I have no significant complaints about the viewing angles, unlike in Onda Vi30 Dual Core. However, it was predictable, because Teclast P85 Allwinner A10 has the same screen. No dead pixels. It seems that at the present stage of technology development they became anachronistic and obsolete. There are two drawbacks in this screen. First, the white color is not that white. In fact, it is a little yellowish. However, you won’t notice it without direct comparison with another screen with real white white color. I myself have noticed this feature only in a direct comparison with the screen of Onda Vi30 Dual Core at maximum brightness – the latter is noticeably whiter. The second feature of the screen is that the maximum brightness it is not too high. Again, in normal use, it is not noticeable, but when using the unit outdoors on a sunny day it will be difficult to read anything on the screen. In this aspect the leader today is Yuandao N70, it has the screen, which is readable even under the summer sun.The Teclast P85 Dual Core is above, and the first generation of Teclast P85 is below: you won’t find any differences.

Touchscreen. It was very good in the first generation of the device, and it is not worse now. There practically no dead spots on the edges of the screen, which we can frequently see in other tablets. Only a couple of millimeters of the right and bottom edge in the standard landscape orientation does not react to the touches, the top and left edges of the screen are touch-sensitive throughout the whole area. In the first firmware, 1.13, I had a small complaint to the sensitivity – it was a bit lower than I would prefer it to be, but the firmware 1.24 is quite satisfactory in this respect. 5 touches are handled correctly, no ghost touches detected in all modes of use.

Controls and connectors. No change compared to the first generation. The power button, “Home”, and volume control functions combined with “Back” and “Menu” in the top right corner of the device in landscape orientation. The buttons are solid and pressed clear. As before, the device can be charged only via MicroUSB, which also has OTG and data transfer function. There are also a slot for MicroSD memory cards up to 32 GB or more, a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack, the MiniHDMI output, microphone. And, there is a button of forced reboot of the device under the back panel, which can be pressed by a sharp object. There are two speakers, as before, but they are situated together on the back panel, so you should not hope to get the stereo effect.

Frame, materials and build quality. As before, it is this device, along with its older twin brother, is the leader among the Chinese tablets by this parameter. I have no complaints: the gaps are minimal and smooth, no creaks and cracks, the likelihood of ingress of dust due to devices design flaws – almost zero. In addition, both the front and back panels of the unit are perfectly covered by the protective films from the factory. Back panel is made of the metal, which not only makes the device more durable and monolithic, but also completely eliminates the problem of the high heat, which frequently appears in the devices with plastic body, like Ainol Aurora II or Yuandao N70.

Camera. Nothing to talk about. It is up and running. 0.3 MP – and it shows. Skype to go, nothing more to expect. It seems to me that even in the Onda Vi30 Dual Core and Yuandao N70 cameras are slightly better, although the same 0.3 megapixel. In Aurora there is a significantly better 2.0 megapixels camera.

Wi-Fi. No problems detected, signal strength, according to my preliminary estimates, is the same as in the first generation of the device. Connection to the network is very fast, no disconnections, the data is transferred quickly – much better, than in Teclast P85 Allwinner A10. The signal level is -45 dBm 1 meter away from the router and -58 dBm 8 meters and 2 concrete walls away. It is a good result. In general, everything is fine.In Onda Vi30 Dual Core, thought, the results are even better: -40 dBm and -53 dBm.

Integrated utilities, Market and root. PlayStore is integrated into firmware and almost full out of the box. The Wi-Fi positioning works in the standard firmware. There are several proprietary applications from the manufacturer and several specific Chinese programs. Nothing very special. Video in the integrated player and gallery work in full screen. There is no root out of the box, unlike in the Onda Vi30 Dual Core.I managed to root the tablet with ZhuoDaShi Instructions here are suitable for Teclast P85 Dual Core. The device boots very quickly – in less than 30 seconds.62 languages ​​(and their variations) of the interface are available in the tablet, the full list of Android languages. The same is true for the first generation.

Heat. Completely insignificant, as in the first generation and Onda Vi30 Dual Core. He is unlikely to be a problem in the everyday use of the tablet. Thank to the metal back panel, which acts as a heat sink.

Battery. In general, the tablet shows the expected portability under load. Battery indicator sometimes shows incorrect data. This will be fixed in future firmware. Tablet was already charged several times – and each time it charged precisely to 4150 mV, not 4200 mV. Apparently, this restriction is designed especially to extend the resource of the battery. It will live longer than the batteries, charged to 4200 mV. This is good. The battery life is average. Seems, that the average battery life inherent in some way to all devices based on Rockchip 3066, in any case, Yuandao N70 has very similar problems. Unfortunately, this is the price paid for the supreme performance. Today’s main Chinese competitor, Amlogic AML8726MX, seems to be better in this aspect. Onda Vi30 Dual Core shows the very good results here.But in general the situation with the battery in Teclast P85 DC is not as bad as it turned out at the beginning.I tested the device especially to determine its real battery life. Results are the following: 4 hours 24 minutes under load (installing and configuring software, web, games, including 3D), the screen is on the average brightness all the time. Wi-Fi was enabled and active for 2 hours 48 minutes. Residual charge was still 14%, but only 3591 mV – it’s time to charge the battery. Such a result is not bad, perhaps, at the level of the first generation of the device, or even a little better, though the performance was increased very significantly. But it can not be called brilliant. Onda Vi30 Dual Core in such conditions would have lasted about 6 hours. Teclast P85 DC has the same 3900 mAh battery, as the first Teclat P85, compared to a very qualitative 4400 mAh battery in Onda Vi30 Dual Core. Unlike in Yuandao N70, the battery voltage is displayed correctly.In the latest firmware 1.24 there is a mistake of the process “android.process.acore”. A temporary solution is to disable the application called “Contact List.” Obviously, the problem will be fixed in the next firmware.Also, the CPU Master utility runs on the tablet, with the ability to change the frequency of Cortex A9 cores. Unfortunately, the minimum frequency is limited to 252 MHz, and the maximum – 1608 MHz. The same range is used in the standard firmware. But you can change the profile of performance and energy saving (the default is the best – interactive), and to raise the minimum and to lower maximum frequencies in order to increase productivity or maximize battery life.

And, finally, the performance.
First, I have to note that the fastest firmware for today is the first one – 1.13, oddly enough. It shows slightly better results in 3D, than the 1.17 and 1.24. It is difficult to say what is the reason. The results below were obtained on firmware 1.24, unless otherwise stated.In AnTuTu Benchmark tablet showed 8525 points, including a memory test – 1617, CPU integer operations – 2525, CPU floating point operations – 1827, 2D graphics – 337, 3D graphics – 1406, I / O – 545, writing to internal drive – 64, reading from internal drive – 204. The frequency of CPU – 1608 MHz. On firmware 1.13 was the result of 8436 points. Teclast P85 Allwinner A10 shows in this test the results of about 2900 points, and 3200 points if the CPU is overclocked to 1.2 GHz. A very good result dual core version, at the level of Yuandao N70 (based on the same chip with the same frequency, 1608 MHz) and Aurora 2 (based on Amlogic AML8726-MX, 1320 MHz), but slightly lower than the Onda Vi30 Dual Core (Amlogic AML8726-MX, 1512 MHz, about 9200 points). But I suspect optimizations in firmwares of the latter two.

In Quadrant tablet scored 4398 points, including CPU – 7706, Mem – 4247, I / O – 6303, 2D – 1122, 3D – 2613. Onda Vi30 Dual Core once scored more than 5500 points, but again – I suspect optimizations. The first generation made it here significant variation of results on different firmwares from 1700 to 2200 points, but mostly – about 1800.

I can not keep silent about the shocking results of testing with Basemark ES 2.0 Taiji. Absolutely smooth animation and 38.68 frames per second. This is on firmware 1.13. The results on 1.24 are slightly more modest, but also great – 37.4 frames per second. The screen resolution was 1024*720, as status bar was not removed. For comparison, Yuandao N70, based on the same chip but with a lower screen resolution, gives results of about 32 frames per second, Aurora 2 – 20.5 frames per second, Onda Vi30 Dual Core – 16,5 fps, and older brother Teclast P85 Allwinner A10 – 8,5 fps. Are you impressed?

Add that Nenamark 2 device with the first pass gave 60.2 frames per second, with the second – 62.3 frames per second. But it is on firmware 1.13. At 1.24 the results are about 58.5 frames per second, whereas Yuandao N70 – 59,5. Teclast P85 Allwinner A10 shows in this test 20.5 frames per second. GlBenchmark gives a bit unstable results, especially version 2.5. Fill rate in version 2.1.5 – 821 megapixels per second (the Teclast P85 Allwinner A10 scores 180 megapixels per second, and at the same time it manages to run the majority of modern games quite well). This is a bit more than Yuandao N70. Apparently, in the Teclast P85 Dual Core Mali-400 GPU works at even higher frequency. In GlBenchmark 2.5 HD scenes still do not work, the same situation we have in Yuandao N70. Obviously, the problem is in the driver Mali-400 for Rockchip 3066, because Onda Vi30 Dual Core successfully run these tests. The new firmware does not change anything yet. But the problem will be solved later.

Browser tests. Sun Spider: 1269,9 ms (Teclast P85 Allwinner A10 with different firmwares and browsers scores from 4500 to 6500 ms). An excellent result. Vellamo 1.0.6 – 2002 points. Also great. But only in the performance mode, set in CPU Master. In interactive mode, by default, the results of these two tests are lower by 25-30%.Subjectively, the tablet is very fast. Performance issues and lags are not observed in any usage patterns.

Conclusions. All in all – Teclast P85 Dual Core is a great device for ONLY $129.99 shipped. I can define the following drawbacks: the screen has a bit yellowish white color and the average maximum brightness (it is good in all the other aspects, including viewing angles, though), not too impressive (but quite normal) battery life, the inability to connect the charger and OTG at the same time, the battery indicator does not always work correctly, other minor issues in current firmware. It is not so easy to find fault with anything else. The unit is compact and lightweight, very well built with quality materials, not heated, has all necessary interfaces (OTG, HDMI, MicroSD, standart headphones jack, camera, microphone), good support of the manufacturer (already three firmwares for today). And the most importantly – excellent, very impressive performance. About half of drawbacks detected will be corrected soon, as they are firmware problems, others will have to be accepted. But in general, the device is very good and can be safely recommended for purchase. Productivity growth compared to the first generation of the device in most cases is 200-300% or more, i.e. 3-4 times or more. So, if you like the first generation of the device, than you’ll find the second generation even better, because all the positive sides of the tablet remained intact, but now it has an excellent performance to his credit. And it will be a good choice if you are looking for universal 8″ tablet.

This is all for today and thank you for your attention.

Hello androidfanone, very good review, just bought one and I have also updated to version 1.24. I am also experiencing the problem with the process "android.process.acore". But thanks to your advice seems to have disappeared.

Hopefully these details get resolved in the following updates.

By the way, have you managed to root it? , I've seen that you can perform it with ZhuoDaShi software, but the software does not detect the tablet. Should I put it in flash mode first?, Or, How do you get the root?

That is an excellent review! Any thoughts on a video review?
Last edited by TEK112 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DROID Paraphernalia:

G-Tablet - Team DRH ICS
Moto DROID - ROM Test Device - Steel Droid 10
Galaxy Nexus - AXI0M PATIENT ZERO - Franco's Nightly Kernel

If you really want to thank me, sign up for Dropbox!

[quote=TEK112]That is an excellent review? Any thoughts on a video review?[/quote]

Personal video review of Teclast P85 dual-core part I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63brjN8Uzfs
Video review part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoa6G3KvE0Q
Enjoy! :)

Sorry, that shouldn't have been a question mark.

You have done a really great job!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
DROID Paraphernalia:

G-Tablet - Team DRH ICS
Moto DROID - ROM Test Device - Steel Droid 10
Galaxy Nexus - AXI0M PATIENT ZERO - Franco's Nightly Kernel

If you really want to thank me, sign up for Dropbox!

You need to be logged in to the site to leave comments.

Login  •  Register

Return to “Product Reviews”