PROJECT: Reviving a Hard Bricked Kyros

Note: This is a repost of a thread by lfom from the AndroidTablets.net forum.
If it helps you, please head over to the original thread and give him a thanks.

Background

Quote from Arlic:
..."Soft Recovery" mode doesn't seem to work in all "brick" cases. When the Coby screen doesn't turn on at all "and" Droid Explorer or Disk Management don't detect the Coby "and" the soft lights shut off after 7 seconds......you're Coby is in a "HARD" brick."

There are some users with "hard bricked" Kyros: tablet will remain on only while holding the power button, during this period the touch buttons will remain light. Buttons will go off as soon as one releases the power button. If the power button is also pressed for a long time (~10 seconds), it will also go off.

There is a similar "hard brick" with tablets very similar to Kyros, known as HeroTab/DroPad. They found out that it's possible to revive the tablet using a "SD boot", when the internal NAND content is bypassed or not needed.
Tutorial with solution is here:
[GUIDE] Revive your dead tablet - SlateDroid.com
Long thread with hardware details (although not devoted to revive a tablet) here:
[DEV] Custom kernel for Dropad/Herotab - SlateDroid.com

Facts:
1. Some Kyros tablets exhibit "hard brick".
2. "Hard brick" is related to NAND problems.
3. Similar tablets (almost same hardware) with similar symptoms were successfully revived, using a bootable microSD card that re-flashed NAND.
4. It is possible to put smdkv210 (CPU board used in MIDxx24) to boot from either NAND or SD.
5. Not all Kyros have the same internals (ex. MID1024 tablets may have MID1025 boards or MID1024N boards, same goes for 7024 and possibly 8024).

Questions:
1. Is there a simple way to determine if a Kyros is "hard bricked", i.e. fully working besides a faulty NAND?
2. It is possible to have console (simple TTL terminal) access to smdkv210 boards, it's also possible with Kyros? How?
3. Is there a way to change a Kyros from NAND boot to SD boot? How?
4. Is there a working bootable image (u-boot-sd.bin) for Kyros? Universal or one file is needed for each model?
5. Finally, is it possible to revive a "hard bricked" Kyros? How?

1. Is there a simple way to determine if a Kyros is "hard bricked", i.e. fully working besides a faulty NAND?
Open your Kyros, and short-circuit NANDS pins 7 & 8 while you hold power button pressed. I may go on with the screen all white. Release power button and remove whatever you've used to do the short-circuit. If your tablet remains on then probably it's still working. (Ref: Arlic)

It seems that in some cases (maybe due to a non-working/dead NAND), Kyros will boot from external microSD without the need of opening it and short-circuiting pins 7 & 8. It was reported more than once for MID7024 models (megalex and theNige). You just need a specially made microSD in the external slot (see below).

2. It is possible to have console (simple TTL terminal) access to smdkv210 boards, it's also possible with Kyros? How?
Yes, it's possible, connecting some wires to the smdkv210 board (Ref. slatedroid forum forum - Asure/mg3100) found in MIDx024 tablets. It's a risky procedure since the pins are very small and close to each other. Maybe it's also possible to use some pads in the main board, but it isn't documented so far.

3. Is there a way to change a Kyros from NAND boot to SD boot? How?
Yes, there is. So far the only known way is to short-circuit NAND pins 7 & 8 while turning one the tablet. It's also possible to change some smdkv210 board resistors/wires (see slatedroid thread above for more info), but it's not a good solution for Kyros since resistors are too small and there is a high risk that you may break something else or simply won't be able to revert it. If there're pads in the main board for these connections like the ones in Herotab/Dropad boards, then it will be much easier.

4. Is there a working bootable image (u-boot-sd.bin) for Kyros? Universal or one file is needed for each model?
Yes, the same u-boot used for Herotab/Dropad resurrecting firmware can be used with Kyros. The only problem is that it's made for tablets with resistive screens like 7024/8024. It will boot 1024, but a proper ROM/firmware has to be used to actually flash NAND/microSD for a fully working tablet.

5. Finally, is it possible to revive a "hard bricked" Kyros? How?
Yes! Arlic was the first one to find it using a MID8024. So far, his procedure was tested with 7024, MPMAN827 and 1024. For success, a correct firmware is needed (the ressurection firmware only revives the tablet, the correct one is needed for a fully operational unit). For this reason, it seems that some old MID1024 tablets actually use a 1025_v4 board that may brick if used the official firmware, so a working ROM for these models is yet to be found.

PS: microSD card with resurrecting firmware used in the external slot must be 4GB or bigger! (found by SampNeves)

If you still have questions, ask it in this thread and I am sure someone will try to help.

Thanks for everyone who helped and shared what has been found. Props go to Arlic for trying it on smdkv210-based Kyros and sharing it! ;)

how caan we short cicuit the pins ?

With a very small screw driver.

It's in Arlic's post here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/cob ... post135141

Further details (and an image) here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/cob ... post135408

Steev what about this method :?:
if ound it on slatedroid

Hi,
Ok here are my procedure notes for fixing a bricked Haipad M7 (model with internal MicroSDHC card onboard) via Windows

XP. It's long overdue I know (been busy of late and my jumbled procedure notes needed typing/tidying up to make sense).

Ok, if your device won't boot at all (no hint of powering up no matter how long you hold the power button down for, or try to

flash), most of the time it's not irreversible.

I have a Windows XP setup on my netbook instead of Linux. No reason why you can't use Windows 7.

Many thanks to Asure, Mg3100, Alb3rt and all the others for helping me through their own attempts and posts.

Anyhoo - you'll need:

a small philips head screw driver, a credit card or something similar, or a sucker. (These are all to remove the back parts

to get inside the unit to access the internal sdcard - I'll assume you can work this out so won't detail this - there are

many posts here on Slatedroid detailing this)
An internal microSDHC card (4GB or more - I used 8GB class 4 - avoid Kingston branded cards - as I thought I may as well try

to upgrade from the original 4gb)
An external micro sdhc card (4gb or more)
usb sdhc card reader
Windows laptop/netbook/PC with the following:

HxD (hex editor)
A partition wizard (I used freeware mini tool partition wizard home edition 5)
The uboot_sd.bin file from the 301 release firmware (search on slatedroid or go to http://www.haipad.net)
ADB installed as well as QtAdb (freeware)
HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 (http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=197)
A gingerbread 2.3 firmware (I used tiger.sumy 0607 at the time) - files unzipped in a folder on the PC/laptop/netbook.

Note: when doing flashing always have the tablet plugged in to the mains.

Ok, here goes:

Open up tablet, remove internal sdcard and pop into card reader

load mini tool partition wizard home edition 5

wipe all of the internal sdhc (basically right click on the sdhc and delete it)
right click on it again and create a fat32 partition using all space available.

exit partition wizard

run HP formatting tool - do a full format (not quick)

pop external SDHC card into card reader
run HP formatting tool - do a full format (not quick)

open HxD

Go to extras, open disk image, navigate to 301 firware folder and the uboot_sd.bin file and open it with 512 byte option

open disk and select removable disk from the physical disk 1 option with read only UNCHECKED (very important)

(So here you effectively have 2 tabs opened in HxD)

selected and copied all in uboot_sd.bin, then moved to the removable disk tab and pasted from 0x0

click save and exit

leave the internal sdcard out of the tablet

place the external card in external card slot, and switch on with menu+power

system powers up
android green logo pops up with upgrade system activated - writes bootloader, etc to the 256mb nand chip (my Haipad M7 is a

SDcard internal model but they have a small nand where the bootloader sits, etc)

leave for a few minutes then power down

remove the external card and put in card reader

format using the hP formatting tool as before.

copy the firmware files to the external card and pop in the external slot

place the internal card back inside the tablet.

power on while holding the menu button

It should flash the new firmware

I hope I got this right. My original notes were far more extensive (and were written as I tried things 'trial and error'

stylee over a long evening and night into the wee hours - so I've removed the unsuccessful parts and tried to make sense.

let me know

cheers

Dan

Hello.............
Iam back yes i have done it
i have unbricked my tab
and i havent circuited it
thnx a lot steev
you are just awesome :P

thnx others too :lol:

[quote=ijuihjas]Hello.............
i have unbricked my tab
thnx a lot steev

thnx others too :lol:[/quote]
Glad to hear that :)
What procedure did you use ?

Dave

[quote=Dave.S][quote=ijuihjas]Hello.............
i have unbricked my tab
thnx a lot steev

thnx others too :lol:[/quote]
Glad to hear that :)
What procedure did you use ?

Dave[/quote]

thnx for your replay

I Have used this method

1. Take your external SD card out and only your EXTERNAL SD card (not the internal at no point will we take the internal card out).
2. Formatted (FAT32) it using HP flash format tool (DO NOT USE QUICK FOTMAT)
3. Use winimage tool in following way: from winimage menu "Disk->Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive..." select the microsd card (corresponding device), then pick file "u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm" you also need to set it to look for all file types as .mm isn't a default file type. This file is located in the firmware downloaded earlier.
4. remove and insert microsd (still using the external card just unplug and plug back in) windows will tell you that "You should format your drive before use" but don't do this, go to step 5.
5. formatting new partition: Do this in storage management (Control pannel > administrative tools > computer management > storage > disk management) Format the largest partition of raw data into FAT32 and ignore any unallocated space.
5.1Once done windows should mount this partition as a drive copy all the firmware files downloaded earlier onto this partition.
5.2 (NAND users only) If you have a NAND chip then you need to delete utscript_sd then copy and paste the file utscript.sh (so you have two of the same file (in the same place)).
5.3 Rename utscript.sh(copy) to utscript_sd (no '.sh')
6. Insert microsd card into dropad or Herotab and press power with "M" button to enter upgrade mode a normal.
7. device boots into upgrade mode like normal and performs the firmware "upgrade"
8. remove the external SD card on first boot to ensure that you have properly carried out these steps.

You should now be able to flash any up to date firmware you wish to use.

You need to be logged in to the site to leave comments.

Login  •  Register

Return to “Recovery”