U9GT2 antenna modification

Alright ! the drinks did help :D

Got it opened, LOL.
Next question, do I desolder at the arrow, in the third picture, and solder the replacement (picture in previous post) in place ?

U9GT2_being_pryed_to_open

U9GT2_Opened

U9GT2_Antenna_Connection

Dave,
Last edited by Dave.S on Wed May 09, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yes, it is the best mode.

Desolder the two points and replace in the same order, I explain, the antenna cable have two cables, one external and one internal, the internal cable is the most important, the external is only the ground cable but the both are necesary.

Are you happy with the drink? jejejeje... ;)

be carefull with the desolder part.

PD; i don't have other image of the procces :(
01001111010100100100011101001111001001110101001100 000000

if you close the thing again ... does it fit like before? or do you feel that it was opened?

I ask because the front camera is not fitting properly, looks a little sideways ... seems to be well known mistake ... and I wonder if it can be fixed

Orgos, something that I don't quite understand :(
Before doing anything, I measured the built-in antenna, inner wire to the shielding wire, and there was no resistance. Then there is no resistance between the antenna plate to ground (?). Is this how it supposes to be (?)
Perhaps this is the reason that the wifi reception was too weak (?)

Still trying to figure out what is the best approach.

Dave,

[quote=mark_at]if you close the thing again ... does it fit like before? or do you feel that it was opened?

I ask because the front camera is not fitting properly, looks a little sideways ... seems to be well known mistake ... and I wonder if it can be fixed[/quote]
I don't think that the dis-assembly would hurt the location of the front camera, as everything (screen & components) comes out together. The housing is very well fit, and it should not affect the rear camera neither. I will check once I re-assemble the tablet.

Dave,

[quote=Dave.S]Orgos, something that I don't quite understand :(
Before doing anything, I measured the built-in antenna, inner wire to the shielding wire, and there was no resistance. Then there is no resistance between the antenna plate to ground (?). Is this how it supposes to be (?)
Perhaps this is the reason that the wifi reception was too weak (?)

Still trying to figure out what is the best approach.

Dave,[/quote]

Hi dave.

Your antena, is a simple piece of copper, only receive the signal and send to the mainboard, don't have any resistance or another thing, only the size is important. Determines the gain of the antenna, more larger - more gain, more simple - less ganancia.

I replace mine when I saw the signal reception was better, but not only that, also the stability of the signal at the site furthest from the router.

I don't think that the dis-assembly would hurt the location of the front camera, as everything (screen & components) comes out together. The housing is very well fit, and it should not affect the rear camera neither

I am not worried that it would hurt the camera. Just that the whole tablet feels not well closed anymore.

Is your front camera working normal? I was reading that many people have the same problem with camera that I have and I was wondering if it is possible to change it myself by opening and maybe make it look a little more central ... at the moment it makes no sense to skype for example ...

[quote=orgos]
Hi dave.

Your antena, is a simple piece of copper, only receive the signal and send to the mainboard, don't have any resistance or another thing, only the size is important. Determines the gain of the antenna, more larger - more gain, more simple - less ganancia.

I replace mine when I saw the signal reception was better, but not only that, also the stability of the signal at the site furthest from the router.[/quote]
Hello Orgos,

I'd have thought that there should be no short between the shielding mess to the antenna plate, hence I was hesitating to do anything. Looking at the soldering point where the antenna cable connects to the board, under microscope, I could not identify where the shielding mess wire and the antenna wire connect to. See picture below. As a result, I ended up leaving it as is until I have a better understanding, perhaps a sketch of connecting points.

See AntennaConnection.jpg

The antenna place has a peculiar shape. With all the available room, I'd have thought that a larger plate could be used to increase reception. Same as in your explanation.

See ExistingAntenna.jpg

I did a few tests with the existing antenna. Foil, longer copper plate, and the stripped antenna as shown in previous post, etc . . . but none improved the reception. So, until I could get the info on soldering points, I put everything back with a temp fix, which fixed nothing, lol.

See TempSetup.jpg

Next time, when you have a chance to open your tablet again, take some pictures, would you :)

Dave,
Last edited by Dave.S on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=mark_at]
I don't think that the dis-assembly would hurt the location of the front camera, as everything (screen & components) comes out together. The housing is very well fit, and it should not affect the rear camera neither

I am not worried that it would hurt the camera. Just that the whole tablet feels not well closed anymore.

Is your front camera working normal? I was reading that many people have the same problem with camera that I have and I was wondering if it is possible to change it myself by opening and maybe make it look a little more central ... at the moment it makes no sense to skype for example ...[/quote]
Hello Mark_at,

The aluminum housing is very well made and well fit. So, the dis-assembly has to be done with care to ensure no damage, even a very minor one, to the housing. I'd think that the first step, inserting something very thin and strong between the housing and the screen assembly, then prying the latter up enough to insert a second pry tool, i.e. old credit card, is most important. Then, working from the first insertion point, toward both sides carefully & slowly, would be instrumental. I observed the housing after the dis-assembly, and found no scratch nor dent. The re-assembly went fine and I can't detect whether it was previously opened.

I could identify the rear camera while the tablet was opened. But not the front camera :( . After re-assembled, both cameras worked well as before.

I can't offer any advice on this subject, but if I find something useful over the net, I will come back and post it for you.

Dave,

[quote=Dave.S][quote=orgos]
Hi dave.

Next time, when you have a chance to open your tablet again, take some pictures, would you :)

Dave,[/quote][/quote]

Hi Dave.

The Final image... ;)

My ground solder is very bad, but is only the ground... for me isn't important.

ORGO'S

You need to be logged in to the site to leave comments.

Login  •  Register

Return to “Hardware Mods”